Saturday, March 12, 2011

Excuse Me?

I won't lie to you- there is something weird about my school. I know I say this a lot (and after the whole pajama thing, how could you not know?) but recent events have led me to believe this more than ever. See, everyone at my school gets married. We seriously have what is probably the highest undergraduate engagement rate in the country. Now I'm not saying anything for or against marrying young since I know couples who have made it work and couples who weren't able to. I've always been a big believer that the success of a marriage really depends on the strength of the couple going into the commitment and the strength of the individuals who compose that couple but what do I know? Up until two years ago, I was the most romantically challenged person in this universe.

Anyway, while I've always been aware of this engagement phenomenon (seriously, the school even has a nickname for this), it's finally hit close to home with a friend I've known since my freshman year getting engaged. Just like that. While J and I were debating where to put our newly acquired Panda picture we acquired over Spring Break, she was acquiring a fiance. A fiancee. I don't know why but this is kind of alarming to me. I guess it's just a foreign concept to me. My parents married in their late 20s and my mom has always been a huge proponent of experiencing life as a single person before settling down. The way I see it is that you can't help when you meet that special someone and you shouldn't have to give up anything to be with them. Obviously, you're not going to be able to hit up the strip clubs or do anything like that but if you want to go live in India... do it. If it's meant to be, they'll be there for you. NOW, I'm not saying moving to India permanently while your loved one has a job in Canada or anything but for a few months... why not?

Like I said, all these things are far beyond my realm of knowledge. It just... stresses me out.

In other news, Spring Break was fantastic. I feel like it deserves its own post which I'll type up as soon as I'm not completely exhausted. A and her boyfriend are back from their New Mexican escapades and I'm excited to see them again.... But am I the only one who dislikes talking about breaks and things like that for hours??? I love to catch up and everything but every once in a while, you meet those people who just cannot stop talking. Really, I love you but I don't need to know that the blanket you had was of a fleece-like texture with faint orange stripes :| Bah.

LASTLY, I've becoming obsessed with baking these little things lately:

(Google images)

In all shapes and sizes and flavors. I haven't progressed past the boxed-mix stage, I've bookmarked a few recipes I'm excited to try out this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment