Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Weird Diseases

someecards.com - I've injured myself yawning

I get weird diseases. Literally, whatever the 'disease of the moment' is, I'm probably going to contract it. It all started my sophomore year of college. Every year, I normally caught the flu. It was even worse the years I got the flu shot. This nasty tradition came to an end the year swine flu was all the rage. Guess who has two thumbs and was the only person in their dorm to contract H1N1? THIS GIRL RIGHT HERE.

Meelz has a picture of me with a surgical mask on because, when I went to the doctor and was diagnosed, they gave me a doctor's note valid for the rest of the week that said simply, in big letters, QUARANTINE. They prescribed medicine to all my friends and told me that if I found I HAD to leave my room, I had to wear this surgical mask. It was a horrible experience since every time I wore it, people ran from me like I was a zombie.

The next summer, I went on a double date with my bff since forever, Trisha, and had a grand old time.

That's her on said double date, acting all non-suspecting.

Being bffs since forever, we thought nothing of sharing a glass of water at the custard place. 3 weeks later, she was diagnosed with mono. About a month after that, I THOUGHT I had mono but, when I expressed my concerns to my mother, she told me there was only one disease that made people sleepy all the time- laziness. (She has an incredible medical mind, she's just one of those people who believes that acting/being treated like your sick rather than trying to carry on your normal life might only make you sicker). SO, I kept going on my every day life until I went to the doctor, she took my blood for good measure and found out that of course, I had mono.

THE NEXT YEAR, (I know, right?), as in, about 3 weeks ago, I noticed a zit on the back of my leg. No big deal, these things happen. I was content to let it carry on its cycle (Getting bigger before popping and going away) until, after a week, it hadn't popped but instead, had turned into a throbbing, hot to the touch, MASSIVE monster that wouldn't even let me sit like a normal person. Concerned, J told me I should go to the doctor so I did.

The doctor said it was an abscess and that they could drain it right then and there. "It'll feel SO much better once it's drained," he had promised. I went along with this promise of a painfree life but NOBODY TOLD ME how painful the process of draining an abscess actually was. They inject this shot that feels like the whole area is on fire and that all that could possibly be remaining is scorched flesh. I was beginning him to stop when all of a sudden, it went numb. He cut it, drained it, and BAM, less pain. He had to pack it (so disgusting) and told me to come back in 2 days to have it unpacked. For reasons I didn't know at the time, he gave me 2 antibiotics and told me to take them as prescribed until I came back.

That weekend, I started feeling sick. Feverish, exhausted, nauseated. It was the weekend my parents ran the Houston Marathon (GO MOM AND DAD!) and I limped along, trying my best to support them, but ultimately giving in and curling up into a ball to sleep the rest of the day away.

I went back to the doctor on Monday, they unpacked the wound (OUCH) and told me I had MRSA. MRSA. :| This explained the 8 antibiotics a day regime that was leaving me feeling beat down and nasty for the past few days. They didn't know how I had contracted it but told me to quarantine the area and informed me that they would have to report me to the CDC, because it was dangerously contagious. Wonderful.

THANKFULLY, the antibiotics worked, the wound has healed and I feel infinitely better. But this has been what's been eating up most of my time and waking thoughts for the past few weeks. Hopefully, things will go back to normal now :) Until I catch my next weird disease that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment