Saturday, September 3, 2011

College Football

Look, I'll be real with you: I go to a college that's not very good at football. For my entire undergraduate career, we've been the butts of jokes. We psych ourselves up for the games but really, we all know how it's going to end. It's always been kind of a bummer being that team. So today, when we went up for our first game against a nationally ranked team, we all knew what was going to happen. We were going to go stand in 100+ heat (FACING THE SUN!!), spend way too much on water bottles and have to sit in unbelievable traffic on the way back, listening to depressing songs and the cheers of the other team.

For most of the game, though, it looked like we were going to win. It was incredible how far ahead we were but we're pretty well-known for letting it all go in the fourth quarter. And we did. The other team caught up and then PASSED us with 4 minutes left. Now, normally, I don't care about things like football. I don't understand it and it kind of makes me annoyed sometimes but today, I couldn't help but watch. It was like a trainwreck, watching people drop the ball and trip over themselves. With a minute left, we made a field goal. 2 point lead. And we held onto it. And we won. WE. WON.

I don't think I can convey how often this never happens. We haven't beat a nationally ranked team since the budget was balanced (and we all know it's been a while). And we rushed the field. And we waited in traffic and spent way too much on water bottles but for once, we were the people cheering. We got to be on top. And it felt pretty good :)

I'll try to get pictures of it up tomorrow but it's been a long day. Beeteedubs, if you're into the kind of sporty stuff, this is a 4 minute summary of what was probably the most stressful hour of my life. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment